Lynker Technologies, LLC is seeking to hire an Operational Oceanographic Specialist to provide NOAA’s Center for Operational Oceanographic Products and Services (CO-OPS) with continuous support for monitoring real-time water level, currents, and other oceanographic and meteorological data. This position is located at NOAA’s headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland.
Major duties of the position include:
- Continuously monitor CO-OPS’ network of real-time oceanographic and meteorological sensors for sensor operability;
- Provide quality control to ensure the availability, accuracy, and quality of water level, current, and other oceanographic and meteorological data; Investigate data or sensor problems and report changes in sensor status in a timely manner (i.e., before users make decisions);
- Provide daily summaries of station, sensor, or data issues from the previous 24 hours of operations;
- Interact with CO-OPS field personnel who are installing or maintaining observing systems;
- Communicate with and assist users of CO-OPS’ products and services.
Required qualifications and skills for this position:
- Demonstrated knowledge of oceanographic, meteorological and other scientific principles and technology; in particular, how to analyze physical oceanographic data sets, assess observing sensor operability, and troubleshoot suspect data issues.
- Bachelor of Science degree in oceanography, meteorology, or related physical science field, and have at least four years of relevant professional experience.
- Eight years of relevant experience in operational oceanography can substitute for this degree requirement.
- The ability to review large volumes of data and identify technical oceanographic issues using customized software and data management tools.
- The ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing, with CO-OPS personnel and users of CO-OPS’ information.
- Must be able to work 12-hour shifts, including routinely at night and on weekends, and occasionally on holidays.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.paylocity.com.