A.I.S., Inc. is contracted by NOAA Fisheries to provide observer support services for the Southeast Fisheries Science Center’s Observer Program. Southeast Fisheries Observers deploy on commercial fishing vessels based along the coast of the south Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico.
A.I.S is recruiting a full-time Observer Coordinator (OC). The OC shall oversee contract observer staff by managing their day-to-day operations and tracking their movements while on deployments, assist in observer coverage selection mailings to permit holders, assist in database management mainly via quality control procedures, and work with NMFS senior scientists, enforcement, Coast Guard, the commercial fishing industry and administrative personnel and staff from other NMFS divisions. The Observer Coordinator shall participate in training sessions and attend scientific conferences and meetings to present results of the program. The Observer Coordinator may also be required to oversee research projects related to observer activities and participate in other research programs, as necessary. The Observer Coordinator shall be required to assist senior program staff in reviewing paper and electronic data to ensure high-quality data products. Submission of paper form or electronic observer data to the Observer Program Coordinator by the Observer Coordinator shall be accomplished in a timely manner as specified by the Observer Program Coordinator. The Observer Coordinator may be asked to perform various Program support tasks (industry outreach activities, other research project needs, etc.). The Observer Coordinator shall track the deployment of observer gear. Under the guidance of senior staff, the coordinator will also be responsible for resupplying new gear, repairing broken gear, inventorying stored gear, and completing the proper paperwork for repairing or acquiring gear.
Job duties include (but not limited to):
- Communicate with Federal Task Managers and Federal Coordinators at the facility about debriefings, and observer trainings.
- Oversee and track observer deployments
- Communicate with commercial fishermen and vessel owners about departure schedules, safety, and vessel environment
- Perform final data review , data entry, and quality control
- Track observer requested time off
- Writing and editing standard operating procedures
- Compiling quarterly reports to track sea days and trip coverage
- Weekly timesheet quality control and monthly checks on inReach overages
- Work with observers as primary field contact to address deployment and safety issues
- Maintain gear and provide resupplies necessary for observer deployments
- Travel to ports to conduct vessel inspections to verify suitability to ensure safe observer deployment
- Make recommendations to increase the program efficiency in regards to recruiting , training and safety
- Deploy as an observer as necessary
- Occasional evening and weekend work will be required to provide emergency support to observers in the field
- The Observer Coordinator may be asked to become certified as Marine Safety Trainer through AMSEA.
- A minimum of a B.S. Degree in Marine Science or related field of study.
- Experience with common word processing, database, statistical, and graphics programs.
- Physically capable of maintaining and moving observer gear.
- Possess problem resolution skills.
- Experience with highly migratory species and associated fisheries.
- At least four years of fishery observer experience (including staff/office positions).
- Must be motivated, self-sufficient, independent, and a strong team player
- Must be able to work efficiently with a strong concern for completeness and accuracy
- Possess leadership ability and ensure positive team dynamics.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite programs (excel, word, etc.).
- Well organized with the ability to manage multiple tasks in an efficient manner.
- Capable of writing scientific reports and making oral presentations.
- Must have a valid driver’s license
Compensation: Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Fringe benefits include health/dental /vision insurance, vacation, sick and holiday benefits. Benefits also include 100% employer funded profit sharing plan.
Contact: If you would like to apply, please click the following link http://aisobservers.com/careers/ to submit the required information. Please note, all documents must be submitted in order for your application to be considered:
2. Five (5) professional references (name, phone number, and e-mail address must be included)
3. Cover letter detailing your applicable experience.
Job Location: Miami, Florida
Application Website: Apply here