The Albemarle-Pamlico National Estuary Partnership (APNEP) and North Carolina Sea Grant (Sea Grant) are accepting applications for the 2021 Graduate Fellowship in Estuarine Research. The fellowship provides funding for graduate students based in North Carolina with an opportunity to conduct applied research within the North Carolina portion of the APNEP management area. Fellows must conduct hypothesis-based research that addresses one or more of the following broad focus areas:
- Estuary Spatial Planning
- Advances North Carolina’s ability to manage existing and emerging commercial and recreational uses of the Albemarle-Pamlico estuarine system to maximize benefits of ongoing coastal habitat and water quality protection and restoration efforts.
- Submerged Aquatic Vegetation (SAV)
- Uses innovative approaches to describe the ecology of and quantify the ecosystem services provided by mesohaline and oligohaline SAV species.
- Coastal Water Quality
- Assesses nutrient and sediment loadings under varying conditions and the effects on water quality.
- Investigates the use of relative source tracking for nutrients and sediments.
- Determines the impact of emerging contaminants and micro-plastics to water quality.
- Ecological Flows
- Identifies hydrologic conditions that support biotic integrity and habitat function.
- Assesses vulnerability of and impacts to coastal wetlands from factors associated with pollution, land conversion, or climate change.
- Identifies structural and functional loss in coastal wetlands to inform and prioritize restoration.
Proposed work should be relatable to both APNEP’s Comprehensive Conservation and Management Plan (apnep.nc.gov/resources/publications-and-reports/ccmp) and Sea Grant’s Strategic Plan (go.ncsu.edu/Sea-Grant-Plan).
Only graduate students in good academic standing, attending an accredited North Carolina university or college are eligible to apply.
Application materials must be received by 5 p.m. on Friday Oct 29, 2021. Applications will only be accepted through the eSeaGrant portal. This portal can be accessed at: go.ncsu.edu/ncesg. The portal will walk you through submitting all required elements of the application as described above. Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted for any reason. The portal will automatically close at the deadline.